Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Limpets for lunch

Today in Australia it's is ANZAC day where we we remember the men who died fighting on our behalf in WW1 particularly in Galipoli. It is also a public holiday.

This year I took the kids for a walk down the beach and as we walked we talked about the war and how 60% of the men who left to fight did not come back and how fortunate we are to live in a place and time of relative peace.

Whilst at the beach I took some cameraphone shots of the kids. I must do a proper photoshoot with a real camera of them soon!






We also collected limpets which I googled on the beach and found are edible.



Being somewhat Bear Grill wannabes we bought 12 home to eat. in the interest of  preparing something nice that maybe we could eat again, I made an effort to present something palatable as well as edible. I cooked them in butter with chopped red onion having no garlic to hand.
then we tried them....



YUK
they were so gritty it was like eating sand! what a waste of butter and onion! So for future reference as Crocodile Dundee would say
"You can eat them, but they taste like sh!t"







Fortunately we are having Roast Pork and all the trimmings for Dinner tonight thank God we dont have to survive on Limpets

5 comments:

  1. LOL Jane you are a star mum!!!!
    Slightly disgusted that you can take better photos on your phone than many can with proper cameras though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that made me giggle the limpets not the photos I don't think you need worry about a 'proper' photoshoot these are wonderful shots especially the one of your DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary: Great photos. Don't they look grown up! Had to laugh at your tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing pictures. From your PHONE!!??? green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zahra - What FABULOUS photos, can't believe what a young man Akira has grown into. eek - Limpets - they eat dreadful things, well done for trying though!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment I love to hear from you it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :)